Friday, June 26, 2009

An endless stream of silly antics.

In the retail pharmacy industry, there is one term that has the power to send all within ear shout into a frenzy, contorting their face into a knot while chills shudder down their spine. Something so evil and unholy that it would cause a religious man to curse. Customers abuse it, pharmacy employees loath it, and the entire industry's professional image has been scrubbed off and replaced with the intelligence of a high school drop out because of it.

Drive-thru.

I had a woman yesterday act in utter disgust when I asked her to come back in 30 minutes. In her best valley girl voice said "I'm not going to wait her for 30 minutes" which I promptly said "no, that's why you have to come back because you can't wait in the drive-thru". Of course she began to question me, saying "Go ask the pharmacist if he can speed it up" as if I were a dirty liar. I countered by saying "It's not up to the pharmacist, we have patients ahead of you." I almost though she was done, and ready to go. Then she surprised me again. She asks me "how do you know it'll take 30 minutes?" I know I had probably the look on my face that said "am I freaking dreaming?" because I've never been questioned as to how I know it'll take that long.

I leaned forward and said "I know based off of the workflow over the last 2 hours and the number of people ahead of you that it will take roughly 30 minutes to complete your order." She had this holier-than-thou smile creep up on her face, as if she enjoyed the hell out of vexing me. She said that was "bullsh*t" and that she would be back.

I prayed she got lost on the way back...

Not so lucky, she showed up 10 minutes later inside our pickup window. Time is apparently a lost concept to her. Long story short, she waited another 15 minutes and picked up her RX and then asked to speak to the pharmacist. She then goes on to tell the pharmacist that they need pharmacists really bad at a local independant pharmacy just down the street from us. The pharmacists said ok to get rid of her. She didn't say who she was or what she did, for all we know she could of been a cleaning lady.


Ah well, got to head to work...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... perhaps she works as a tech for the independent pharmacy and therefore knows which buttons to push with the staff.

Alex said...

Loved this post! And how are you, lowly? I've been scouring the web for pharm tech blogs and am thinking of starting one myself.