Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An introduction if you please...

Why Blog?

I am a pharmacy technician for a major retail chain and I'm looking to do my part in changing the image of pharmacy technicians, not only in the eyes of patients but pharmacists, too. I've read many blogs written by pharmacists that dig into technicians in regards to work ethics and general competency, and it saddens me to say that these arguments have far too much supporting evidence to back them up.

So why make a blog? My goal is to change this poor image from three different battlefronts; pharmacists, patients, and pharmacy technicians. Pharmacists: I hope to educate the ignorant pharmacists who think wild and imaginative things about pharmacy technicians, as well as those who consider technicians as little more than personal slaves. Patients: I hope to instill a sense of confidence in the eyes of those holier-than-thou patients who find the technician to be nothing more than a barrier between them and getting what they want or speaking to the pharmacist. Pharmacy Technicians: The true goal of this blog, to focus mostly on educating the mindless and self-absorbed pharmacy technicians that seem to fill the applicant pools. I hope to educate fellow pharmacy technicians on the RIGHT way of thinking to aid in not only best serving the patient, but also learn to appreciate the knowledge pharmacists processes and actually work with them; earning respect from not only yourself, but pharmacists and patients alike with a strong sense of work ethics and comradery.

MORE ABOUT ME

I'm 25. I decided a little over a year ago to finally make the switch to take a huge pay cut and work as a pharmacy technician for the invaluable experience I'd gain while I studied to become a pharmacist. I am currently finishing up my first year of classes at a local community college [as much as I'd love the prestige of going to a state university, I am paying for classes myself and the pre-reqs are the same course ID's at the community college as the 3-4x more expensive versions at the state university so I found that the prestige can be overlooked for value. Note to high school students: if you get a free ride after high school, even if for only 2 years or a percentage of the full price, take it much more seriously than I did.]

I decided to call myself "The Lowly Pharm Tech" because I truly think that a pharmacy technician is designed to HELP the pharmacists to make their jobs easier and give them the opportunity to put patient care first, it's a humble position that receives very little glory. We, as technicians, are also there to provide a service for our patients and try to meet their pharmacy needs, all the while showing an acceptable level of compassion while we do it. This, of course, does not mean pharmacy technicians are to be treated like servants or ordered about like domesticated animals, which I plan to address fervently, but this does means accepting the reality of the position that you, the pharmacy technician, agreed to be in when you said "I'll take the job" or whatever it is you said when they offered you scraps and a possible discount on merchandise.

Coming up, I have some heavy studying to do for my PTCB Exam, which I eagerly signed up on the very first day of testing, November 10th and now find myself wondering "what was I thinking?!" since I haven't even started studying. I recall seeing a section during the application process that asked "How many hours did you spend studying for the PTCE?" and the lowest choice was "50-99 hours". Becoming certified is not mandatory in the state of Florida, but does come with some perks. One "perk" is the ability to use CPhT after my name to designate that I am a certified pharmacy technician! To tell you the truth though, I'm mainly doing it for the perk found at most pharmacy's; the pay raise. In my case, I will be seeing an additional $1.50 an hour from being a non-certified technician to being a CPhT. That $1.50 an hour is an extra $3,120 a year. An extra $240 a month will help offset my upcoming private health insurance and dental cost, which will begin deducting from my already meek paychecks in January 2009.

- TANGENT - I seriously contemplated going without the medical coverage, saving me some serious money, but I know how things seem to work out for me and somehow it would result in me wishing I hadn't chose to opt-out during open enrollment. I can totally see an ER doctor sharing my sentiments, as he explains to my bawling girlfriend, that he couldn't close me back up after removing my appendix, all because I opted out of my health insurance and had maxed out my credit card doing the appendectomy. Kidding aside, peace of mind might make it worth it. - END TANGENT -

Financial thoughts aside, I know already by perusing through some PTCE books that I'll gain a lot of information which can help me be a better pharmacy technician and to better aid the pharmacists. All of this in turn will generate a better atmosphere for my co-workers and patients alike!

NOTE: I plan to use stories and experience to not only to explain concepts or ideas, but just for the sheer amusement of how retarded people can be. Breaking HIPAA laws is the last thing I want to worry about, so expect vagueness on personal details and name changing, but the point should be easy enough to get across without absolutes.

No comments: